The following is a list of what I will and will not be spending money on during the month of March. I could certainly be more frugal, but the goal here is not to be completely extreme; it is to challenge myself to spend less than I normally would.
I will spend money on:
- Cell phone
- Car insurance
- Car fuel (minimally)
- Perishable groceries (minimally)
- Medical bills
- Credit card payments
- Emergency items, as needed
- A haircut (I haven't had one since September!)
- Netflix subscription (far cheaper than most forms of entertainment!)
- Monthly donation to missionary friends abroad (I've been doing this for over a year)
- Dining out
- Drinking alcohol
- Snacks and lattes
- Most groceries (I want to see what I can use up in my house)
- Other non-emergency shopping
I have created a spending budget based on average expenses for utilities, insurance, etc. I am allowing $35 in my budget for fuel (enough for about one full tank at current gas prices!) and $20 for perishable groceries.
Up next: How I formulated my personal budget.